Revolutionaries condemn Shafiq allegations over Brotherhood role in Battle of Camel
Activists reject claims of presidential contender Ahmed Shafiq, who seemed to suggest last week that the Islamist group attacked demonstrators during 2011's 18-day uprising
Ahram Online, Sunday 10 Jun 2012
File photo: a supporter of President Hosni Mubarak, on camel, fights with anti-Mubarak protesters in Cairo, Egypt. (Photo: AP)
Revolutionary groups and figures have slammed attempts by presidential contender Ahmed Shafiq to blame the Muslim Brotherhood for the killing of protesters during the infamous 'Battle of the Camel' in February 2011.
During a TV interview last week Shafiq hinted that the Brotherhood was responsible for attacks against demonstrators on Cairo's Tahrir Square during the 18-day uprising which led to the resignation of president Hosni Mubarak.
Ahmed Maher of the April 6 Youth Movement said in a statement on Saturday that these "lies" were being propagated to "falsify history" and increase Shafiq's presidential chances by smearing the Brotherhood, whose candidate Mohamed Morsi is the only other competitor in next weekend's electoral run-off.
Maher added that, despite differences between several revolutionary groups and the Brotherhood stemming from their alleged attempts to monopolise political power, the Islamist group's role in the protesters' ranks during the 18 days revolt could not be denied.
The Justice and Freedom Youth Movement also rejected the accusations levelled at the Brotherhood.
Writing on Twitter, the group's administrator said: "I completely oppose the Brotherhood and do not trust them due to their opportunism and lies, and for hurdling the revolution, tainting the revolutionaries' image and succumbing to the military council … but we will not remain silent regarding the conspiracy accusing the Brotherhood of committing violence ... [during the Battle of the Camel] .. while those responsible ..., as well as for many other massacres, are running free enjoying the country's wealth and power."
The administrator also condemned previous attempts to taint the images of other political groups and figures, including Salafists, Mohamed ElBaradei, Hamdeen Sabbahi, Abdel-Moneim Abul-Fotouh, the April 6 Movement and the Revolutionary Socialists.
The administrator of the 'We are All Khaled Said' Facebook page said the accusations were another attempt by the state to evade responsibility for events — not only for the Battle of the Camel but also violence in Cairo's Mohamed Mahmoud Street last November, Port Said in February and at Cairo's Maspero TV station last October, where dozens of Egyptians were killed and many more injured.