Last Update 22:36
'Egypt general' claims Hamas offshoot behind Sinai attack: CNN
US network CNN cites anonymous 'Egyptian general' who attributed Sunday's Sinai border attack to the Hamas breakaway group 'Al-Galgala Army'
Ahram Online , Friday 10 Aug 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1534
Al Galgala leader
Galgala islamist's group leader Abdellatief Moussa (Photo: Elaf website)

According to US cable network CNN, an unnamed "general" who allegedly works in the Egyptian intelligence apparatus, claimed on Thursday that Sunday's Sinai border attack might have been the work of the "Al-Galgala Army," which, he alleged, consists of former Hamas members who broke away from the Gaza-based group due to their "extreme ideologies."

The general, who spoke anonymously, asserted that the organisation boasts "hundreds" of militants in the region. Its leader, Abdul-Latif Moussa, was killed by Hamas in 2009.

The general cited by CNN also claimed the attackers had entered Egypt's Sinai Peninsula through tunnels from the besieged Gaza Strip. He added that the attack had required the help of Bedouin tribesmen, who, he alleged, had been recruited through financial incentives.

The general went on to say Israel had provided Egypt with the names of "nine terrorists" involved in the attack, stating they were part of a group dubbed "Tawheed wal Jihad," based in Gaza and parts of the Sinai Peninsula.

CNN's unnamed source also said the Egyptian military had sent reinforcements to Sinai on Thursday based on information provided by Israel.

So-called "jihadists" were accused last year of launching an attack on a police station in the city of Al-Arish in northern Sinai in which five Egyptian security personnel were killed.

Some "Salafist jihadists" were also jailed on charges of participating in attacks on Sinai tourist destinations in 2004 and 2005 that killed some 125 people at the Red Sea beach resorts of Sharm Al-Sheikh, Dahab and Taba. No evidence of their involvement in the attacks, however, was ever produced.

On Sunday evening, an attack by unknown assailants near Egypt's border with the Gaza Strip left 16 border guards dead and several others injured. Islamist groups, including Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and Gaza Strip-based Hamas, unanimously condemned the attack.





Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 4000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Dalou
10-08-2012 09:36pm
1-
2+
CNN & CO
This is so ridiculous, the day it happened i read terrorists where bedouins, then the second car enterred Israeli territory, then they were pulverised and burned, then i read "unnamed Egyptian General" accusing Hamas, then forensic analysis said, they have identified pieces of the terrorists "uniformes" that where made in Nablous??? The Jihadists whore uniformes, wanted to show Israel Army they're were comming from Nablous. How illogical can this stupid propaganda get? Who's more stupid, the public? I dont think so.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment

© 2010 Ahram Online. Advertising