Last Update 21:58
Monday, 17 June 2019

Egyptian army announces killing of 32 'criminals' in Sinai

Egypt's military forces have to date killed 32 suspected militants in Sinai during Operation Eagle, following the terrorist attack that took the lives of 16 Egyptian soliders

Ahram Online , Saturday 8 Sep 2012
Egyptian army in Sinai
n Egyptian army truck carries tanks and vehicles to Rafah city, some 350 km (217 miles) northeast of Cairo, August 10, 2012 .(Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2153
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2153

Egypt's armed forces have announced that 32 "criminals" have been killed since the onset of Operation Eagle, launched following the terrorist attack 5 August near Rafah that killed 16 Egyptian soliders.

Some 31 tunnels between Egypt and Gaza have also been destroyed, said Colonel Ahmed Mohamed Ali, a military spokesman, during a press conference Saturday.

Military forces also arrested 38 people, 20 of which were released. It plans to continue the operation until its goals are achieved, Colonel Ali explained.

Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said 30 August that he expected the Egyptian army to withdraw its reinforcements from Sinai at the end of the operation, aimed to root out Islamist militants.

However, Ali insisted that "the deployment of the armed forces, on all the territory of Sinai, is not a violation of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel."

The Egyptian armed forces assured that they took into a number of important elements in designing the operation, among which the rights of Sinai's inhabitants, Ali explained.

Ali added that the armed forces had decided to ensure that full information is available to the media, by conducting more press conferences with a specially assigned spokesman.

Operation Eagle came in for criticism after being temporarily halted following last month's Eid holidays, with many units pulling back to locations in Beir Al-Abd, Baluza and Kharba. According to military sources, the tactical shift will include withdrawing heavier units.

In August, an Israeli newspaper said that Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu had sent a sharply-worded message to Cairo via Washington, calling for the immediate removal of Egyptian tanks deployed in northern Sinai.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
4



Free Lady
09-09-2012 12:55pm
0-
0+
Job Half Done
Military is doing great job. It might be more appropriate if they give true identity of terrorist to nation. Its an armed as well as an idealistic struggle too. Public knows these terrorist more then ruling elite want to hide. Official announcement will make it clear that government is not HIDING these "SALAFI TERRORIST" in name of "CRIMINALS" as we know they are SALAFIST TAKFIRI JIHADI TERRORIST.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
3



Morgan
08-09-2012 04:48pm
2-
11+
'Bibi' must be joking...
Benjamin Milikovsky (aka Bibi Netanyahu) should also remove his military away from Egyptian borders and stop his Mossad operatives inside Egypt's territories which is in violation of the Peace Treaty (as useless as the U.S. Constitution, I'm afraid). Also thank you media for not referring these criminals as Islamist Militants. What these terrorists did in Ramadan is one of the worst sins a Muslim could commit; these people are not Muslim.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
2



Mona Abdel-Aziz
08-09-2012 04:37pm
2-
4+
True Victims
They are the poor who were lured by Hamas drug money and neglected by Egypt over centries. Let us correct this situation and move forward.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Aladdin
08-09-2012 04:31pm
5-
7+
WHo are Those People
I worked with them near Halal Mountain. They are reminents of the defeated Napolion army. THey were neglected neglected by Egypt amd misguided by Hamas into multi-million dollars drugs/weapons smuggling. Let us be fair and bring them back to mother land: EGYPT. THere will be no seurity as long as Iran's poppet Hamas in Egyptian Gaza. It is all about opiom money.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.