Last Update 21:59
Monday, 21 October 2019

Morsi politely 'asks' defiant prosecutor-general to stay on

Unable to convince Mahmoud to leave his post, presidency claims it was concerned angry public may target the Mubarak-appointed prosecutor-general over acquittals in Battle of Camel case

Ahram Online, Mostafa Ali, Saturday 13 Oct 2012
Prosecutor-general
Mohamed Morsi vs Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud (Photo: Ahram Online)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3169
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3169

After a tense 48-hour standoff between President Mohamed Morsi and the judiciary, the head of the state has seemingly allowed Egypt's prosecutor general to remain in his post. 

On Thursday, Morsi announced that the prosecutor general Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud would be leaving his post and heading to work as Egypt's ambassador to the Vatican.
 
Morsi's attempt to replace Mahmoud came amid growing fury with Wednesday's acquittal of the 25 defendants in the Battle of the Camel case, whose number included senior officials from the Mubarak regime. 
 
Moreover, public anger at the prosecutor-general has been brewing for months, with pro-revolution critics saying his office failed to aggressively pursue those accused of killing protesters in nearly two years of upheaval because it was part and parcel of a Mubarak mode of existence. 
 
Early news reports indicated that Mahmoud's departure had been all but sealed.
 
However, within hours of the announcement he would head to the tiny European enclave, Mahmoud released a statement denying he agreed to leave his office insisting that the president does not have a constitutional right to dismiss him.
 
Mahmoud, emboldened by the decision of many judges and prosecutors to publicly show him support, challenged Morsi by arriving at work on Saturday morning. 
 
Simultaneously, the president gave no indication that he would fight to stop the Mubarak-era prosecutor from carrying on in his post, and a compromise resolution seemed to be the only way left out of the short-lived crisis.
 
After a meeting was held on Saturday afternoon between the president and Mahmoud, who was accompanied by supporters from the High Council of the Judiciary, the two sides announced that "misunderstandings" had been cleared and an "understanding" between the two sides had been reached.
 
Vice-President Mahmoud Mekki told reporters during a press conference on Saturday evening following the high-level meeting that Morsi was at no time eager to dismiss Mahmoud.
 
"If the presidential office had intended to remove the public prosecutor it would have done so from day one of presidency," said Mekki.
 
Mekki claimed that Mahmoud had initially agreed in discussions with the presidency during the hours that immediately followed the announcement of the Battle of the Camel verdict to leave the post, and accepted an ambassadorship to the Vatican, but later changed his mind.
 
Mekki said that the president simply "suggested" to Mahmoud he leave his post out of concern for his safety given high levels of public anger at him.
 
The vice-president accused the media of misreporting on events and intentions, and accused reporters of manufacturing a controversy.
 
"The media falsely transmitted the news by claiming that prosecutor-general Mahmoud was sacked instead of saying that he was offered a post as Egypt's ambassador." 
 
Mekki also blamed some judges for contributing to the crisis that followed Morsi's announcement.
 
"There is strife now being fuelled by political forces who claim to advocate judicial independence but never supported it during Mubarak's time," said Mekki who is a one-time anti-Mubarak, pro-democracy judge.
 
Indeed, some in Egypt's judiciary publicly complained that Morsi's attempt to replace Mahmoud was outwith his presidential mandate, saying it violated judicial independence and the constitutional principle of the separation of powers.
 
Mekki went on to call the president's decision to approach Mahmoud about a change of career was "flawless", claiming that the "offer" the president made to Mahmoud did not break any laws.
 
Speaking on Saturday morning at the High Court where his office lies, Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud struck a more conciliatory tone towards the president, downplaying his earlier statements in which he accused the presidency of making direct and indirect threats to force him to step down.
 
Instead, Mahmoud told colleagues, who gave him a boisterous reception outside his office, that he holds no ill-feelings towards the Muslim Brotherhood, which the president hails from. He also expressed  his gratitude that the president had approved his request to remain in his position.
 
Meanwhile, Mekki  returned by night time Mahmoud's kind words, telling reporters that the president accepted the prosecutor-general's "desire" to stay on because "Morsi truly believes in the sanctity of the independence of the judiciary, the integrity of the state, and the importance of respecting the rule of the law."
 
By the end of the evening, the prosecutor-general bolstered the president's explanation for a "confusing" situation.
 
"It was miscommunication. We sensed that the president really wanted us to stay on. We appreciated that," he told reporters.
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
7



A.K.
15-10-2012 08:46am
0-
0+
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR THE MEDIA IS URGENTLY NEEDED
Let us move forward with independent legal system and a President who now respects the separation of powers. It is mentioned above that the vice-president accused the media of misreporting on events and intentions, and accused reporters of manufacturing a controversy. I tend to think that he may be correct because incorrect media news can escalate things and turn on a fire. The media must be held accountable for what they publish, and a professional code of conduct for the media must be implemented soon to ensure the true facts are published without any fabrication.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
6



John Andrews
14-10-2012 08:21pm
0-
0+
Moving along
Things are moving fast enough. So, soon enough, we will see a truly free Egypt, with all the current legacy judiciary either 'corrected' or removed. Ahram, too, will move along: eight 'corrected' or shut down.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
5



John Andrews
14-10-2012 08:17pm
0-
0+
Thou shalt show respect
Ahram (English, at least) should show more respect when talking about the Egyptian president. As an observer, I hold the headline against Ahram's code of ethics. And by the way, I believe more than 90% of Egyptians want the notorious public prosecutor out.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
4



TH
14-10-2012 09:16am
2-
6+
Lies,Lies,and more Lies
Yet another example of the Moslem Brotherhood lying and twisting facts to achieve their objectives of controlling all aspects of Egyptian society. The report from the Vatican that Morsi's governament submitted Mahmoud's name as ambassador over 15 days ago proves the Brotherhood wanted him removed even before the verdict came out. Fellow Egyptians, please do not all the MB to hijack our beautiful country and religion. These people are devicsive and will stop at nothing. I am a devoute Moslem , yet according to them I am a non Islamist . Morsi may not be a bad man, but he is weak and controlled by the Brotherhood. Let us all stand up like Abdel Meguid Mahmoud and defend our rights, our country and the future of our children to live in a free democracy.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
3



y solio
14-10-2012 07:18am
7-
2+
criminals
why are you people putting in the title something different from the article, and we all want the general prosecutor out, what the president did is not the first time in history, abdel naser, sadat and the ousted in tora have done it many times, and they violated the constitution, but no one could oppose the ruler then, and now those who are fighting it are the ones that the prosecutor cover up their criminal trails, it is not going to last
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Timmy
15-10-2012 09:24am
0-
0+
MB lies
The only perwsonw hi violated the consitutuion is Morsi because Mekky is Ikwan and tried to be above the law
2



Didi, Port Said
14-10-2012 03:26am
0-
3+
Listenig to the Logic
DO not listen to the Kazabeen and let us move forward. We need law-and-order and reform our institutions . We need to catch up with civilized world.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Aladdin, Egypt
14-10-2012 03:23am
0-
3+
Rational Thinking
Good. Let us get with the nation business and national interest. Egypt in danger and we have to protect it from power hungry groups and our enemies inside and outside.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.