President Mohamed Morsi does not plan to rescind his latest controversial constitutional declaration, but will rather offer proposals to the High Judiciary Council and issue an explanatory addendum after the meeting,
a source who asked to remain anonymous reveals to Al-Ahram Arabic-language news gate.
"The president will not go back on his decision to dismiss former Prosecutor-General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud," said the source, who is close to the mediation process.
The source further revealed that the president will make proposals that will still protect the fate of the Shura Council (parliament upper house) as well as the Constituent Assembly - whose constitutionality is currently being questioned in court.
The source concluded that the president will propose a consensual solution on the Constituent Assembly to satisfy various political forces. The source ponders: "This might be to increase the number of Constituent Assembly members and raise the ratifying percentage to 67 per cent to oblige everyone to come up to a consensus on the constitution."
Minister of Justice Ahmed Mekki and Egypt's Vice President Mahmoud Mekki have been in frequent communication since Sunday with the High Judiciary Council to explain the presidential stance on the constitutional declaration as well as relaying back to the president the judiciary's viewpoint.
"A presidential statement released on Sunday evening was meant to reassure the international community that Morsi's constitutional declaration released last week is only a temporary measure", said the source.
The president's office defends the declaration issued on Thursday, saying it is necessary to follow up on corruption crimes and protect the elected bodies.
Sunday's statement stressed the need to hold accountable those responsible of corruption under the former regime and during the transitional period, as well as to attain the rights and justice for those who died during and after the January 25 uprising, which they said could only be accomplished via such a declaration.