Last Update 18:27
Monday, 19 October 2020

Egypt's foreign ministry condemns latest Israeli settlement plans

Following Israel's approval of approximately 2,000 new settlement units in east Jerusalem, Egyptian ambassador denounces building plan in meeting with Israeli ambassador

Ahram Online & AFP, Wednesday 19 Dec 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1530
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1530

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry on Wednesday expressed to Israel its objection over a recent plan to build 2,600 new settler units in east Jerusalem and the West Bank.

This message was relayed when Ambassador Alaa Eddin Youssef, the ministry's Israel department head, held a meeting with the Israeli Ambassador to Egypt, Yaakov Amitai on Wednesday.

In a press release, the ministry condemned its settlement activities, claiming it significantly hinders Palestinian-Israeli negotiation and peace efforts. It further condemned Israel's outright violations of international jurisdiction.    

Israel on Wednesday issued tenders to build another 1,048 settler homes in annexed east Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank, housing ministry spokesman Ariel Rosenberg told AFP.

Earlier on Wednesday, an Israeli planning committee gave final approval for plans to build 2,610 new homes in Givat HaMatos, a settlement suburb of annexed east Jerusalem, an Israeli monitoring group told AFP, in what rights groups say will be the city's first new settlement neighbourhood in 15 years. 

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.