New evidence in the trials of those accused of involvement in last year’s killings at a football match in Port Said was given to Port Said Criminal Court on Monday by the prosecutor-general, a judicial source told Al-Ahram Arabic news website.
The court was expected to give its verdict on 26 January regarding the killing of over 70 Ahly fans at a match between Ahly and Masry football clubs in Port Said last February.
The judicial source further revealed that the new evidence concerns a number of the accused, adding that the evidence was drawn from investigations carried out by the prosecution.
On trial are seventy-three defendants, including nine security officials, three Masry football club officials and a number of fans, for their suspected role in Egypt's worst football disaster.
It remains unclear if the new evidence will lead to the postponement of the verdict to after 26 January.
Assistant minister of justice Hisham Raouf told Al-Ahram that the prosecutor-general has requested the re-hearing of the prosecution’s pleading in the case.
Raouf added that the final decision regarding the postponement of the trial is up to the court overseeing the case.