26 Civilians and two policemen have been reported dead - Lieutenant Ahmed El-Balki and low-ranking police officer, Ayman Abdel Azim - in current Port Said clashes, also at least 280 injured, according to Egypt's interior and health ministries.
Clashes erupted Saturday morning following a death sentence verdict against 21 Port Said residents accused of attacking Ahly fans in the local stadium last year, leaving more than 70 dead.
Angry Port Said crowds are attempting to break into the prison to free the accused. Security forces respond by firing tear gas in attempts to disperse the crowd.
Seventy-three defendants, including nine security officials, three Masry football club officials and a number of fans are on trial for their suspected role in Egypt's worst-ever football tragedy.
Twenty one have been given the death sentence. The trial of the remaining defendants will be looked into on 9 March.
New evidence was submitted last week requiring further investigation into the case.