Egyptian president cancels visit to Ethiopia in light of violence at home
President Morsi will not participate in an African summit, preferring to lead current meeting with defence council dealing with Egypt's turbulent situation; Teargas once again overwhelms Egypt's air
Ahram Online, Saturday 26 Jan 2013
President Mohamed Morsi meeting with National Defence Council (Photo: President's official page)
President Mohamed Morsi cancels his trip to Addis Ababa for the African summit scheduled for Sunday due to the ongoing unrest in Egypt.
Presidency Spokesman Yasser Ali says Morsi is currently in an emergency meeting with the National Defence Council, which includes the ministers of justice and information as well as the head of the national security apparatus.
The meeting is set to discuss the violence and deaths that occurred Friday during protests marking the second anniversary of Egypt's revolution and how to hold accountable those responsible.
Nationwide clashes between protesters and police on Friday left at least 10 dead, including nine in Suez and hundreds injured.
Meanwhile, in the coastal city of Port Said clashes continue after a court handed 21 of the 73 defendants in the Port Said massacre trial the death sentence early on Saturday.
Seventy-three defendants, including nine security officials, three Masry football club officials and a number of fans, are on trial for their suspected role in Egypt's worst-ever football tragedy, where more than 70 died in an attack on fans.
The trial of the remaining defendants will be looked into on 9 March.
At least 15 have been killed so far in the ongoing Port Said clashes, including two police officers.