President Mohamed Morsi met with the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces on Monday to discuss the national and regional security situation.
More than 50 people have died in violent protests since the second anniversary of January 25 Revolution.
The meeting was held at the Ministry of Defense, a presidential source told the Al-Ahram Arabic website.
The generals presented their assessment of the internal and external security situation to the president, the source said.
The presidency is unlikely to issue a report on the contents of the meeting, the source added.
Earlier on Monday, interior ministry officials met with the president to discuss the security situation and the efforts of the armed forced to enforce a curfew in the Suez Canal cities.
On 27 January, President Morsi imposed a state of emergency and a curfew on the Canal cities of Port Said, Ismailia and Suez, which had seen escalating violent protests. The decision was openly defied by residents.
There were protests in Port Said after a court sentenced 21 local people to death for their role in a deadly football riot in February 2012.
Local residents said the accused men were scapegoats. At least 42 died in the resulting violence. No security officials accused in connection with the case were among the 21 sentenced to death.