Last Update 16:6
Sunday, 15 September 2019

One more dies from Port Said January riots

Funeral march to be held Saturday for Mohamed El-Nahas, who was shot in the eye during the clashes between protesters and the police after court verdict, raising toll to 42

Ahram Online, Saturday 16 Feb 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1106
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1106

A funeral march will be held on Saturday for Mohamed El-Nahas who was announced dead on Friday after being injured in last month's riots in the city of Port Said.

El-Nahas was shot in the eye on 26 January after the local criminal court slammed 21 of the coastal city’s residents with a death sentence for their involvement in an attack during a match in the Port Said stadium in February 2012 that left more than 70 Ahly fans dead.

Some Port Said residents protested the death sentences, which escalated to clashes with security and into general riots.

After being shot, El-Nahas was transferred to Maadi military hospital and then to the intensive care where he eventually succumbed to his injuries.

This death raises the death toll from the Port Said clashes to 42.

Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi responded to protests and violence in Port Said by declaring a state of emergency and curfew on the three canal cities: Port Said, Suez and Ismailia.

Residents, however, took to the streets en masse after the curfew in a defiant message that they won't adhere to the emergency law. The curfew was eventually reduced in Port Said to four hours and three in Ismailia and Suez.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.