The General Secretary of the Muslim Brotherhood Mahmoud Hussein blamed the media for exaggerating the attacks on protesters at the Muslim Brotherhood headquarters on Saturday.
Violence broke out on Saturday after a meeting between Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie and Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal at the building in the Mokattam district of Cairo.
Dozens protested against Badie and the Brotherhood, with some spraying graffiti in the vicinity.
Hussein told Ahram Online on Sunday that no attacks had taken place directly outside the headquarters, but only in a nearby area.
In response to videos and pictures circulating online showing journalists and protesters attacked after drawing graffiti criticising the Brotherhood, Hussein attempted to clarify that there were “provocative measures taken by the protesters.”
Shortly after the incident on Saturday night, Brotherhood spokesperson Mahmoud Ghozlan had also stated that some journalists and photographers had been involved in “provocative” acts alongside protesters.
A number of demonstrators swore at Brotherhood “youth” deployed at the group’s headquarters, he added.
Cairo Security chief Osama Samir said Sunday afternoon that fifteen people carrying Molotovs were arrested for involvement in Saturday’s attacks, and that five policemen had also been injured. Two vehicles were also burned, one of which was a security vehicle.