Last Update 12:14
Egypt court orders release of Mubarak in killing protesters case
Court orders release of former president Hosni Mubarak but he will remain in jail pending investigation into corruption charges
Ahram Online , Monday 15 Apr 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1844
Mubarak
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak sits inside a cage in a courtroom at the police academy in Cairo April 13, 2013 (Photo: Reuters)

A court has ordered the release without bail of former president Hosni Mubarak over charges of complicity in the killing of protesters during Egypt's revolution. 

The decision came after defence lawyer Fareed El-Dib submitted a memorandum stating his client had already spent two years in provisional detention, which is the maximum allowed under Article 143 of the criminal procedures law.

The prosecution agreed with El-Dib's argument, saying there is no need to keep Mubarak in detention. 

The judge said Mubarak could go home so long as he is not wanted for other crimes. However, he will remain in prison pending investigations into separate corruption cases. 

Last June, Mubarak received a life sentence for failing to protect peaceful protesters during the January 25 Revolution, but in January was granted a retrial due to procedural irregularities in the initial trial.

Hosni Mubarak was arrested  on 12 April 2011.

On 7 April, Prosecutor-General Talaat Abdullah announced Mubarak would be detained for an additional 15 days pending investigations into new charges related to the illegal use of state funds.

The judge overseeing the retrial recused himself on Saturday and referred the case to the Cairo Appeal Court. The new date of the retrial is still unknown.

Also facing retrial for their role in the killing of protesters during the revolution are former interior minister Habib El-Adly, and six of his aides.

Since his detention in April 2011, the ousted president has complained of health problems and has been moved back and forth from the hospital at Tora Prison to Maadi Military Hospital.

On Saturday, Prosecutor-General Abdullah requested that Maadi Military Hospital transfer Mubarak back to Tora Prison hospital if his health permits.





Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 4000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
4



T
15-04-2013 08:17pm
10-
8+
T
If Mubarak is going to be charged for attacking protesters because his ministry of interior shot bullets at them, then Morsi should be charged with killing the protestors of port said!
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
3



M.G.Mohamed Nowshad
15-04-2013 08:06pm
4-
1+
Egypt Towards hell
I'm Srilanka Muslim, closely watching the for years, after revolution, the Muslim all over the world thought that, something good going to happen, but gradually changes occurred, though we fear that again Mubarack era may come, these currupted judges and legal system in Egypt putting big barrier for revolution in Arab world
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
2



abdulrahman
15-04-2013 04:32pm
10-
11+
A Great Injustice
The revolutionaries of Egypt had since the fall of Mubarak had been attacking the wrong target. They should have forced all heads of civil service and all judges to resign. The re-appointments of those with integrity and unblemished records to take place after that. This case against Mubarak is one of the direct consequences. Injustice has been done but legally done. More similar cases involving excesses by officials suppressing the revolution could be hampered in the same manner which would be perfectly legal. Do Egyptians who held endless street demonstrations for almost two years realize about this state of affairs.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
T
15-04-2013 08:21pm
4-
3+
T
And the Egypians that have been protesting against Morsi and his government for the past year don't deserve justice?
T
15-04-2013 08:21pm
0-
2+
T
And the Egypians that have been protesting against Morsi and his government for the past year don't deserve justice?
1



Nora
15-04-2013 04:31pm
9-
12+
Happy Now?
We are in square one. We have only ourselves to blame. Been under corrupted regime for over three decades, has created addiction to dictatorship. Through it Mubarak still dyes his hair jet black.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
AG
15-04-2013 09:37pm
4-
6+
Sixty Years not Thirty
Unforuntaly it's 60 years not 30. We cannot forget that this all started with Abdel Nasser. Mubarak was simply following in the footsteps of those that came before him. He is not even the biggest threat, the biggest threat are the remnants of the regime still embedded in courts, police, media.

© 2010 Ahram Online. Advertising