Former presidential candidate Amr Moussa on Tuesday claimed that he had been promised to succeed Essam Sharaf as prime Minister in 2011 during the interim military rule, but that his appointment had been withdrawn following alleged threats by the Muslim Brotherhood.
In an interview with journalist Ibrahim Issa on the Qahera Wel-Nas television channel, Moussa said that Hussein Tantawi, former head of Egypt's Supreme Military Council and de facto ruler at the time, had tasked him with drawing up a new cabinet amid mounting popular protests against the government of then-prime minister Essam Sharaf.
"The next day I met with Fayza Abul-Naga [then-international cooperation minister] and discussed with her the new cabinet," said the former Arab League chief, adding that he had later been informed by then-military chief-of-staff Sami Anan that his oath taking ceremony had been postponed.
"I was later informed by one of the leaders of the Supreme Military Council that Mohamed Saad El-Katatni, current leader of the [Muslim Brotherhood's] Freedom and Justice Party, had called Tantawi and threatened to 'burn Egypt' if Amr Moussa was asked to form a cabinet," Moussa added.
In November 2011, Sharaf resigned from the premiership. He was succeeded by Kamal El-Ganzouri, who served as prime minister until the appointment of Hisham Qandil in August 2012 by newly-elected president Mohamed Morsi.