Last Update 15:4
Monday, 11 December 2017

Morsi military trials claims are false: Rights group

'No to Military Trials' rejects President Morsi's claim that no civilians were tried in military courts during his first year in office

Ahram Online , Thursday 27 Jun 2013
File photo of Egyptian activists with stickers that read: "No to military trials for civilians" at a
File photo of Egyptian activists with stickers that read: "No to military trials for civilians" at a rally. (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1240
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1240

The 'No to Military Trials' campaign has criticised President Morsi for claiming no civilians were tried by military courts during his first year in office.

"He claimed no civilians stood trial in military courts during his first year in office – this is untrue," campaign co-founder Mona Seif said via Twitter after the speech on Wednesday night.

Seif added that she had received calls from relatives of detainees after the speech asking her if their loved ones had been released.

Campaign member and human rights lawyer Ragia Omran said via Twitter, "I reject Morsi's statement that no civilians have received military trials during his first year in office. We are in contact with detainees' relatives and there are civilian detainees who are still awaiting military trials."

'No to Military Trials' Facebook page published the names of civilians who are facing or have faced military trials during Morsi's first year in power, such as 17-year-old Mohamed Ihab who was sentenced to 15 years in jail by a military court for attacking an army officer and breaking a curfew.

Activists also criticised Morsi's threat to use his position as armed forces commander-in-chief to sue critics in the media under military law.

"Mubarak tried Muslim Brothers in military courts because civilian courts acquitted them. Today Morsi is threatening to use the same military courts against his opponents," prominent activist Wael Ghonim said via Twitter.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



abdulrahman
28-06-2013 03:45am
0-
0+
The Truth Lies With Minister of Defence/Armed Forces
The Egyptian public should call upon the Defense Minister and Chief of Armed Forces to clarify whether there were military trials of civilians. Now, The Defense Minister who is also the highest ranking serving officer in the military should tell the truth to the public and explain the reason if there were such trials. Could the trials had possibly been held secretly. The Egyptian news media have been silent on this allegation and must now come out strongly to demand the truth. The Public Prosecutor should now call all relatives of such defendants to provide details.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.