The Egyptian armed forces have issued a warning that they will not allow any assaults on Islamists following the fall of former President Mohamed Morsi.
“To Egypt's youth from all religious currents and orientations, no one in Egypt questions your patriotism and sincere dedication to this country,” army spokesperson Ahmed Ali said on Thursday.
The statement went on to stress that no group would be excluded in Egypt.
“The armed forces will not allow anyone to insult, provoke or abuse those belonging to the Islamic current,” he said. “They are like all the sons of Egypt. The armed forces have the same amount of esteem, respect and love for them as the others.”
On Wednesday evening, Egyptian Minister of Defence Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi announced that Morsi had been removed from power and replaced temporarily with the head of the High Constitutional Court until new elections are held.
The announcement came after protests erupted on 30 June calling for Morsi to step down after only one year in power.