Thousands protest at Cabinet building in Cairo
Supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi protest appointment of new Cabinet, minor scuffles reported
Ahram Online , Wednesday 17 Jul 2013
Pro-Morsi protesters demonstrate against transitional government near downtown Cairo, 17 July, (Photo: Mai Shaheen).
Thousands of pro-Morsi demonstrators gathered in downtown Cairo on Wednesday afternoon to protest the appointment of a new Cabinet.
Minor scuffles were reported at the protest outside the Cabinet building.
Some of the protesters then marched along the corniche and attempted to cross over Qasr El-Nil Bridge to Giza's Nahda Square. After they were blocked by security forces they crossed instead over Gamaa Bridge in Manial, which was the site of deadly clashes between Brotherhood supporters and local residents last week.
An eyewitness told Ahram Online that the scene in Manial was tense as the march passed, but there was no reported violence.
The Egyptian army removed Mohamed Morsi from the presidency on 3 July amid mass protests against his rule.
Essam El-Erian, a senior member of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, had called for protesters to "show that the majority of Egyptians" reject the new Cabinet which "was not elected by the people and is not accountable."
The Brotherhood refused to accept Cabinet positions despite offers from the presidency.
The new government, led by interim Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi, a liberal economist, was sworn in on Tuesday and is mostly comprised of liberal figures, some of whom belong to the non-Islamist opposition, including El-Beblawi himself.
El-Erian said liberal and leftist parties were "servants of the coup leaders" and were "betraying democracy."
The Muslim Brotherhood-dominated Shura Council (upper house of parliament) was dissolved by a presidential decree following Morsi's overthrow.
The Brotherhood said it would not recognise the new government and insisted Mohamed Morsi and the Shura Council be reinstated before it engages in talks.
Clashes between Morsi supporters and state forces have left around 60 dead since 3 July, including over 50 at a protest outside the Republican Guard headquarters in Cairo last week.
Supporters of the former president have been holding daily protests since his deposition.