Last Update 21:54
Sinai militant group claims responsibility for Al-Tor blast
Sinai-based militant group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis says one of its members 'blessed' for having carried the attack on security headquarters in Al-Tor on Monday, leaving two dead
Ahram Online, Wednesday 9 Oct 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 517
Al-Tor bomb
Egyptian security forces inspect the site of a suicide car bombing on security headquarters in the southern Sinai town of Al-Tor, Egypt, Monday 7 Oct, 2013 (Photo: AP)

Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, a Sinai-based militant group, released an online statement Wednesday claiming responsibility for Monday’s attack that targeted security headquarters in southern Sinai, reported Al-Ahram Arabic news website.

The blast, which took place in the town of Al-Tor, left two killed and 48 injured.

“God blessed our brothers in Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis to target [one] of the dens of injustice and oppression: the security directorate headquarters in the southern Sinai town of Al-Tor,” read the statement, adding that the operation was carried by one of its members using an explosive vehicle at dawn.

The group has previously claimed responsibility for several militant attacks, including the bomb that targeted the interior minister's motorcade on 5 September.

Also on Wednesday, a bomb exploded in a vacant military intelligence office in northern Sinai's town of Rafah, a security official told AFP.

Along with the Monday Al-Tor explosion, Egypt was hit by two more attacks on the same day, one in Ismailia and another in Cairo.

Six Egyptian army personnel -- one officer and five soldiers -- were killed in an attack by gunmen on an army patrol near the Suez Canal city of Ismailia. 

In southern Cairo's upscale district of Maadi, armed assailants attacked with RPGs an uplink telecom facility used to air channels on Egypt's Nilesat satellite causing limited damage to the satellite dishes at the site and no casualties.

Since the 3 July removal of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, militant attacks targeting security forces have been on the rise, mostly in Sinai – the area suffering a security vacuum since the January 2011 revolution that toppled Hosni Mubarak’s regime.
 





Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 4000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.

© 2010 Ahram Online. Advertising