Last Update 20:45
Sunday, 17 November 2019

Egypt prosecution to investigate alleged El-Sisi leaks

Prosecution investigates complaint against Rasd news website for alleged army chief leaks discussing possible presidential bid, immunity for post

Ahram Online , Sunday 13 Oct 2013
El-Sisi
File photo: Egypt's Defense Minister Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4175
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4175
Egypt's general prosecution launched on Saturday an investigation into a complaint that the pro-Muslim Brotherhood Rasd news outlet fabricated recent audio and video leaks in an attempt to slander military leaders and undermine Egypt's army and police.

The Rasd news website published on Thursday what it alleges to be the recording of a recent interview between Egyptian army chief Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi and Yasser Rizk, editor-in-chief of the Egyptian daily Al-Masry Al-Youm.

In the leaked recording, which Rasd claims captures dialogue outside the official interview published by the paper last week, El-Sisi reveals an intent to safeguard his position as defence minister in the future.

"You should lead a campaign with other intellectuals asking that the constitution include an article giving immunity to Lieutenant-General El-Sisi's position as defence minister and allowing him to keep that position even if he doesn't enter the presidency," a voice, allegedly belonging to El-Sisi, said to Rizk, according to the leak.   

The leak controversy comes at a time of heightened speculation of a possible presidential run for El-Sisi in the next elections.

During the official interview published by Al-Masry Al-Youm, El-Sisi responded to questions of his intent to run for president by saying that the time "wasn't suitable" for such a question and that "God's will shall prevail."

The complaint submitted to the prosecution charges that the "fabricated recordings" intend to slander the army's leadership and to incite national strife and division, according to the Reuters-affiliated website Aswat Masriya.

The complaint accuses Rasd of spreading lies since 3 July, when Islamist president Mohamed Morsi was removed from power by the army following mass protests against his rule.

On Friday, Al-Masry Al-Youm said it would sue Rasd and demand compensation of over LE50 million ($7 million) for the latter's accusations.

Al-Masry Al-Youm accused Rasd of stealing and altering the interview recording so as to discredit the paper and destabilise "civil peace."

Rasd issued a statement on Saturday saying it had dealt with the leaks professionally, insisting that Egyptians should be informed of the interview's contents. The statement mocked Al-Masry Al-Youm for "forgetting" its motto, "It's your right to know."

Rasd called on Al-Masry Al-Youm to publish the full interview in order to substantiate its accusations of foul play.

Another recording from the Al-Masry Al-Youm interview released by Rasd allegedly reveals El-Sisi accusing the Nasserist former presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabbahi of falsely stating El-Sisi would not run for president, when in reality El-Sisi had not explicitly told Sabbahi whether or not he would run.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
4



El-Diwany
16-10-2013 05:08pm
0-
0+
Reasonable Doubt
Gen. El-Sisi has created reasonable doubts that his move to oust Mr. Morst was purely altruistic and that he had no personal ambitions or motivation for the July 3rd Coup. The Brotherhood moves after July 3rd, played right into the hands of the military. It is now the military rule or total chaos. All of a sudden the 60 years of military rule in Egypt has been forgotten and the Egyptians want them back.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
3



SAND
14-10-2013 07:15pm
1-
2+
Whata joke!!
The whole world is laughing at this military power-grab and pathetic media none-sense. It only works locally!
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
2



Munir Ahmed Khalili
14-10-2013 05:55am
1-
2+
rassd's leaks
Actually there lies no embellishment that largest media estates of Egypt are in hands of only about two dozen monopolists who have their vested interests, so they have always, during 60 years dictatorship, toed the lines of their authoritative masters.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



john
13-10-2013 04:57pm
2-
5+
alaram
Prosecution can't do any things against Sisi .he can do what he want .70years army ruling and forcing warning .killing .all judges pro army selected by army .who make justice ? Al Bacardi make fool . All fools people's .mess up democracy .
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.