Last Update 20:0
Monday, 30 November 2020

Troops to guard main streets after curfew lifted: Interior minister

Interior minister says troops will remain on main streets and squares after curfew lifted on 14 November, warns against violence on Mohamed Mahmoud anniversary

Ahram Online , Tuesday 12 Nov 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1233
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1233

Troops will continue to be deployed in Egypt’s main squares and streets after the curfew is lifted on 14 November, Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim told state news agency MENA on Monday.

The curfew has been in place since a state of emergency was announced on 14 August when hundreds of pro-Morsi protesters were killed by security forces at sit-ins in Cairo and Giza.

After three months the state of emergency can only be extended after approval by a national referendum.

The government has said it will not hold a referendum and will lift the state of emergency on 14 November.

Ibrahim warned the Muslim Brotherhood against “using” events on 19 November, such the Egypt-Ghana football match or events marking the Mohamed Mahmoud Street clashes – when dozens of protesters were killed during clashes with police in 2011.

The last year's anniversary of the clashes, named after the street where they took place near the interior ministry headquarters, ended in violence.

Attacks on state buildings would not be tolerated, Ibrahim warned.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.