Egypt's presidential media advisor Ahmed El-Muslimani said the Muslim Brotherhood had sought appointment to various posts in the interim government that was formed following president Mohamed Morsi's ouster
The army deposed Morsi, who hails from the Brotherhood, on 3 July amid nationwide mass protests against his one-year rule. His supporters, led by the Brotherhood, deemed the ouster an illegitimate military "coup," did not take part in the government or constitution-amendment committee and have been relentlessly calling for Morsi's reinstatement.
El-Muslimani said Saturday night in an interview on privately-owned satellite channel Orbit TV that senior members of the Brotherhood's Guidance Office had been in contact with the presidency after the ouster and accepted to be part of the interim roadmap.
They later withdrew, however, under "pressure from the US that supported the continuance of the pro-Morsi protest camps held by [the Brotherhood]," El-Muslimani added.
Both the Egyptian interim authorities and the Brotherhood have been trading accusations of conspiring with the US against national interests, as Morsi's ouster sparked tensions between the two nations.
A number of US officials have visited Egypt since, either in efforts to mediate talks between the Brotherhood and the interim government or to discuss international relations.
Earlier in November, US Secretary of State John Kerry said while on a short visit to Cairo that his country is committed to working with Egypt's interim rulers.
A pro-Morsi coalition on Saturday called for discussions with all political forces as a way out of the strife caused by the ouster. Meanwhile, the Egyptian government has never officially announced any plans for reconciliation with the Brotherhood since Morsi's removal.