Egyptian prosecutors on Monday referred 21 women and girls to criminal court on charges related to a pro-Morsi protest, judicial sources told Ahram Online.
Twenty-seven people have been charged with offences related to a march in support of former president Mohamed Morsi in October in Alexandria's eastern Roushdy district. The detained adults are due to appear at an urgent criminal court on Wednesday, while the juveniles will be referred to a court for minors.
The detainees, who include fourteen women and seven underage girls, face charges of "illegal assembly, disturbing public security and order, possession of bladed weapon and rocks and endangering citizens' lives."
Since Morsi's ouster in July and following widespread protests, interim authorities have launched a major crackdown on supporters of the president, arresting thousands.
The toppled leader himself, along with 14 other Islamists, is on trial for incitement to murder protesters in December 2012.
An official statement by the general prosecution office said that investigations had showed that five people conspired to hold an illegal assembly in Roushdy with the aim of "intimidating" citizens.
Their trial has been set for Wednesday. Prosecutors have ordered the arrest of the five and of one other person, all of whom are currently at large, on charges related to the protest.
An Egyptian court last week sentenced 12 pro-Morsi students to 17 years in prison for taking part in a violent protest. The protesters were convicted of attacking the headquarters of the Islamic Al-Azhar institution during a protest last summer.