Last Update 9:33
Monday, 23 September 2019

First mass in Soul village church since mob torching

Copts attend their first Mass in Two Martyrs’ Church in Soul village, which was burned in a sectarian attack last month

Ekram Ibrahim , Wednesday 13 Apr 2011
Atfeeh Church
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4909
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4909

Copts attended today the first Mass at 7:30am in Two Martyrs Church, which was torched on 4 March after being attacked by a Muslim mob.

The village church in Soul, Helwan in south Cairo was attacked by a Muslim mob, allegedly in the wake of rumours of a love affair between a young Muslim woman and a Coptic man last month.

Coptic youth hung the cross at the top of the church last night amidst a joyous crowd.

The Two Martyrs church was rebuilt under the supervision of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) starting 13 March and was finished in exactly one month, as promised.

The incident triggered large-scale Coptic protests, with tens of thousands gathering for several days before the state TV building in the centre of Cairo. Coptic feelings were further inflamed by an initial decision of the Governor of Helwan to have the church rebuilt away from its original site, on the outskirts of the village. The Supreme Military Council later intervened and decided that the armed forces would rebuild the church at the original site.

Roughly 700 Coptic residents of Soul village were in high spirits as the church was completed just in time for Easter ceremonies. “I am really very happy to be able to pray again in my church. We thank the army so much,” said Adel Medhat, af Soul village resident.

Many Coptic activists also expressed delight with the timely results. “I’m so glad that Soul church was rebuilt and that its people are finally praying in it,” said Hani Ramsis, rights lawyer and one of the leaders of the Maspero Youth Union.  Many residents showed gratitude to the army for their significant efforts.

Rebuilding the church isn’t enough

SCAF has written the issue off through an unofficial extralegal truce: the villagers were gathered by a Muslim Salafist Sheikh who asked for clemency from both Copts and Muslims and for all to permit the church to be rebuilt.

A large number of Copts remain unsatisfied, and resent the fact that the legal, criminal process was not carried out and are insisting that those involved in the church burning be tried.

“The SCAF didn’t treat the issue justly: the law should have been enforced,” said Dina Samir, a freelance writer.

Furthermore, some Copts are organising a protest next Friday to ask for, among other things, the prosecution of the culprits in the Two Martyrs Church burning and the release of 17 Copts arrested in the course of protests triggered by the attack. “The rebuilding of the church was never enough for me, so am joining the Friday protests,” asserts Nabil Gobrial, lawyer.

 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



James
13-04-2011 07:28pm
0-
0+
Double Standard
Just saw this report: Cairo (AsiaNews) - Al-Azhar will only resume talks with the Holy See after an apology from the Pope, who was accused of criticizing Islam following an attack against the Coptic Cathedral in Alexandria last January 3. As much was revealed in an informal meeting between Ahmed El-Tayeb, Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, and Michael Fitzgerald, Vatican ambassador to Cairo. In the meeting, which took place yesterday in Cairo, the Muslim leader said that relations between the two religions are normal, but demands an official apology from the Pope, as a condition to restarting any dialogue between Al-Azhar and the Vatican. "It's not fair to ask the Pope for an apology - says a source, anonymous for safety reasons - because he never insulted Islam, he just asked for the protection of Christians wherever they are, as is his duty." The source points out the dual position held by the authorities of Al-Azhar, which on one hand demand an apology from the Pope, but still want to be
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.