Last Update 14:56
Friday, 15 November 2019

Thirteen tourists found alive, two still missing after Indonesia ship sinks

Reuters , Monday 18 Aug 2014
Indonesia
In this image taken from video Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014, survivors are checked by paramedics in Lombok, Indonesia, after a boat sank Saturday evening on its way from Lombok island to Komodo island (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1027
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1027

Bad weather was hampering a desperate search on Monday for two foreign tourists still missing after a boat travelling between two Indonesian islands sank at the weekend, although 13 more people had been plucked from the water alive, officials said.

A small cruise ship carrying 20 foreign tourists and five Indonesian crew sank on Saturday night as it sailed between Lombok and Komodo islands. Indonesian authorities had said as many as 15 of the tourists were missing overnight.

However, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for the national disaster management agency, said 13 more people, including eight tourists and all five Indonesian crew, had been rescued in the hours since then.

"The survivors were found by fishermen, and they were found floating with life-jackets," Nugroho said in a text message.

He said the survivors were being treated at a clinic on West Nusa Tenggara island, which lies between Lombok and Komodo. Conditions had turned against rescuers searching for the remaining two tourists.

"We have deployed speed boats and a helicopter ... but we are encountering bad weather and high waves," Nugroho said.

The tourists rescued so far are from Britain, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, and New Zealand.

Tajudin Sam, who runs the tour company that operated the ship, said it likely ran into stormy weather.

The ship was on a three-day trip from Lombok, a popular destination for tourists, to Komodo Island, which is famous for its giant monitor lizards.

Indonesia has a checkered maritime safety record among the thousands of ferries that criss-cross the vast archipelago. Two ships sank last month during the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holidays, killing 36 people. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.