Last Update 14:24
Sunday, 15 September 2019

Charlie Hebdo suspects 'were on UK watchlist'

The Kouachi brothers, suspected of Wednesday's terror attack on Charlie Hebdo in Paris, were on the UK Warnings Index for some time, says media report

Marwan Sultan in London, Saturday 10 Jan 2015
Kouachi
This photo provided by The Paris Police Prefecture Thursday, Jan.8, 2015 shows the suspects Cherif, left, and Said Kouachi in the newspaper attack along with a plea for witnesses (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1432
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1432

The two main suspects in the attack on France's Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine were reportedly on the UK terrorist list.

The BBC quoted a security source as saying that brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi were on the UK Home Office “Warnings Index” for some time.

Anyone on the terror watchlist is barred from entering the UK, the source added.

The Kouachi brothers were killed after an armed stand-off with police at a warehouse in Dammartin-en-Goele, north of Paris.

The UK Home Office announced that British officials are in close contact with their French counterparts.

Prime Minister David Cameron has offered France “every assistance necessary, including the full cooperation of our police and security and intelligence agencies.”

Theresa May, the UK home secretary, will attend a meeting of interior ministers of Europe and the US in Paris Sunday “to discuss the international response to the Charlie Hebdo attack.”

After the terror attacks in France, security has been tightened on the French-British sides of the English Channel in what May described as a precautionary measure.

The terror alert level in the UK remains at "severe", meaning a terrorist attack is "highly likely."

Meanwhile, the UK government announced it will allocate more financial resources to the security services to protect the country from terrorist activities.

Chancellor of the Exchequeur George Osborne has described tackling terrorism as “the national priority." He confirmed an extra £100 million had already been allocated to monitoring Britons going to Syria and Iraq.

The step came after Andrew Parker, the head of Mi5, the internal security service, warned that Al-Qaeda is plotting to massacre huge numbers of civilians in the UK and other Western countries.

Parker said it is too early to ascertain the precise details or origins of any attack, but it is a terrible reminder of the intentions of those who wish to harm the UK and other Western states.

“While the so-called Islamic State is the newest threat to the West and that self-started lone wolf plots are hard to foil, Al-Qaeda still has ambitions for something more spectacular,” Parker said in a briefing, attended by security experts.

He said his ”sharpest concern" as director general of Mi5 is "the growing gap between the increasingly challenging threat [of terrorism] and the decreasing availability of capabilities to address it.”

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.