Last Update 22:2
Sunday, 13 October 2019

Lawyer for father of 'Jihadi John' quits the case

AFP , Sunday 8 Mar 2015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2152
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2152
The Kuwaiti lawyer representing the father of alleged Islamic State group executioner "Jihadi John" said Sunday after filing lawsuits for his client that he has now withdrawn from the case.
 
"I have decided to withdraw from the case for personal reasons," Salem al-Hashash told a news conference lasting just a few minutes.
 
He provided no further details and refused to answer questions.
 
Jassem Emwazi, the father of Mohammed Emwazi who is thought to be the knife-wielding IS executioner, hired Hashash last week to file cases against those allegedly spreading false rumours about his son and the family.
 
Reading from a written statement, Hashash said that he filed several lawsuits on Sunday against unspecified parties for slander against his client.
 
In the statement, the lawyer said Jassem Emwazi is a "British national who has no relation with Kuwait" except that he visits the Gulf state to see his mother.
 
Hashash reiterated that "so far, Western security agencies have not provided any evidence to prove that Mohammed Emwazi is Jihadi John", who is accused of killing several Western hostages.
 
He said that the stories and rumours published about him are "untrue and baseless".
 
Hashash did not say what will happen to the lawsuits he has filed now that he has withdrawn from the case.
 
Last week, he told Kuwaiti daily Al-Qabas that his client was interrogated by the interior ministry for three hours before being released.
 
Alleged executioner Mohammed Emwazi was born in Kuwait to a stateless family of Iraqi origin. His parents moved to Britain in 1993 after their hopes of obtaining Kuwaiti citizenship were quashed.
 
Emwazi visited Kuwait several times, the last time between January 18 and April 26, 2010, Al-Qabas said.
 
A year later, he was denied entry to Kuwait after his name came up during investigations into attacks in Britain.
Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



expat
09-03-2015 07:55pm
0-
14+
a "briton"....
how funny,that increasing numbers of the flock of the labour "new voters" show their faces much too soon for labours taste...couldnt they have waited a little longer? and where the son is spoiled,the root of evil lies in the fmaily, root them all out from europe's soil,kick them all back to their desert dream lands,where their only dream religion rules,there THEY can fight each other
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.