Last Update 22:39
Monday, 13 July 2020

Suicide bombing kills seven in Libya's Benghazi

Reuters , Tuesday 24 Mar 2015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1398
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1398

Two suicide bombers drove a car packed with explosives into an army checkpoint in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on Tuesday, killing seven people and wounding nine, army and medical sources told Reuters.

In a separate incident, a rocket hit a residential building in the city, killing a 17-year old girl and wounding up to five people, the sources said.

Two rival governments and a host of militias are competing for power in Libya. Benghazi has become a war zone, with heavy clashes occurring almost daily between Islamist fighters and forces of the internationally recognised government. The main commercial port has been closed for more than four months, disrupting wheat and food imports.

The latest violence came after Ansar al-Sharia, a militant group, said a senior Islamist commander had been killed in Benghazi on Monday.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.