Last Update 0:3
Thursday, 24 September 2020

Two dead in NE Nigeria suicide attack: Police

AFP , Sunday 7 Jun 2015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 900
Share/Bookmark
Views: 900

A female suicide bomber killed two people and injured four others in northeast Nigeria, while two people were injured when a bomb exploded near a military checkpoint, police said on Sunday.

"A female suicide bomber detonated an improvised explosive device strapped to her body along the Baga-Monguno highway, killing herself and two others on Saturday," said Borno state police commissioner Aderemi Opadokun.

Opadokun said four other people were injured in the attack, which was the sixth in northeast Nigeria since Muhammadu Buhari took over as Nigeria's new president on May 29.

There have been 11 attacks in total and 93 dead, according to an AFP tally.

Meanwhile, Opadokun said there was a blast at Tungushe village in the Konduga district of Borno, about 35 kilometres (22 miles) by road southeast of the Borno state capital Maiduguri, at about 9:30 am (0830 GMT) on Saturday.

"Two persons were injured and are now being treated at the hospital," he said, calling for increased public vigilance to deter fresh attacks.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for either incident but both bore the hallmarks of Boko Haram, which has previously used female suicide bombers and homemade explosives in its six-year insurgency.

Buhari, who on Sunday flew to Germany to attend meetings on the sidelines of the G7 summit of leading industrialised nations, has made defeating Boko Haram a priority for his administration.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.