Last Update 21:51
Friday, 13 December 2019

Kuwait breaks ups 'terror' cell: Ministry

AFP , Thursday 13 Aug 2015
Kuwait
Ambulances park in front of the Imam Sadiq Mosque after a bomb explosion claimed by the IS following Friday prayers, in the Al Sawaber area of Kuwait City (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 950
Share/Bookmark
Views: 950

Kuwait has broken up a new three-member "terror" cell and seized large amounts of weapons, ammunition and explosives, the interior ministry said on Thursday.

Three Kuwaiti citizens were arrested and have confessed to joining a "terror" group, a statement said.

Security forces seized "19 tonnes of ammunition" as well as 144 kilos (316 pounds) of TNT, as well as rocket propelled grenades, hand grenades, firearms and detonators, the ministry said.

It said the explosives were found in a farm in Abdali, near the border with Iraq, and in two houses in undisclosed locations.

At the end of July, Kuwait said it had broken up a five-member cell of alleged members of the Islamic State group.

In June a Saudi bomber blew himself up in a Shiite mosque in Kuwait City, killing 26 people and wounding hundreds. The jihadist IS group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Last month, Kuwait said it had broken up a five-member cell of alleged IS militants.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.