Last Update 23:5
Sunday, 13 October 2019

Suicide bomber kills 16 in northeast Syria: Monitor

AFP , Wednesday 19 Aug 2015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1255
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1255

A suicide bomber killed at least 16 people on Wednesday in an attack on Kurdish security forces in northeastern Syria claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group, a monitor said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the blast in the city of Qamishli killed 10 members of the Kurdish forces, called the Asayish, and six civilians.

"A suicide bomber in a vehicle targeted the Asayish's local headquarters in Qamishli," said Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the British-based Observatory.

IS claimed the attack in an online statement, saying a suicide bomber had used a "water tanker rigged with explosives to infiltrate an Asayish command base".

Syrian Kurdish militia have been some of the most successful forces fighting IS in northern parts of the country.

The jihadist group has targeted Qamishli and other Kurdish bastions with suicide operations in the past.

Abdel Rahman described Wednesday's explosion as "massive" and said at least 14 civilians had been wounded.

The charred wreckage of several vehicles was seen at the site of the blast in the industrial district of Qamishli, a majority-Kurdish city in Syria's northeast Hasakeh province.

Syria's state news agency SANA reported a toll of 15 people, but did not specify whether the dead included civilians. It said 50 people were wounded.

Arin Shekhmos, a local journalist in Qamishli, said the blast could be heard throughout the city.

"I wasn't close, but I could hear it from where I was," Shekhmos told AFP by telephone shortly after visiting the blast site.

"There is a lot of destruction -- the buildings on at least two streets have been completely destroyed," he said.

Qamishli, under the shared control of Kurdish authorities and the Syrian regime, has been targeted by several bomb attacks this year. In late July, bombs struck the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and the Asayish, wounding at least three people.

Syria's conflict, which began in March 2011, evolved from peaceful demonstrations to a multi-front war involving Kurds, rebels, jihadists and the regime.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.