Last Update 10:14
Monday, 18 November 2019

France confirms death of Islamist militant with Paris attacks links

AFP , Wednesday 30 Dec 2015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1033
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1033

France on Wednesday confirmed the death of French Islamist militant Charaffe el Mouadan, who had close links to at least one of the Paris attackers, as it emerged the gunmen coordinated the November 13 assault in real time.

Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told reporters "Yes, I can confirm" Mouadan's death but declined to give further details.

On Tuesday, the Pentagon announced Mouadan had been killed in a strike by the US-led coalition on December 24.

French sources said there was no immediate evidence directly linking Mouadan to the Paris attacks but said he had been close to Samy Amimour, one of the suicide bombers who attacked the Bataclan music venue in the French capital.

Baghdad-based US military spokesman Colonel Steve Warren said Tuesday that Mouadan, 26, also had a "direct link" to Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the Paris attacks cell leader.

According to information obtained by AFP from the investigation into the attacks, the gunmen coordinated the assault between them via phone and also communicated with one or more unidentified accomplices in Belgium.

One of the gunmen at the Bataclan sent a text message at 2042 GMT to a phone in Belgium that read: "We're off. We're starting."

The phone used to send this message was found in a bin near the concert venue.

Meanwhile, Belgian police detained one person for questioning over the Paris attacks.

The person, who was not identified, was picked up during a search in the troubled Brussels neighbourhood of Molenbeek.

The attacks on the French national stadium, Paris bars and cafes and the Bataclan on November 13 resulted in 130 deaths and hundreds of wounded.

The assault, claimed by the Islamic State group, and a heightened terror alert in Brussels have caused jitters across Europe ahead of traditional New Year's Eve celebrations.

Paris has abandoned its firework display although the traditional gathering on the Champs Elysees will go ahead, under very tight security.

Late Wednesday, the mayor of Brussels announced that New Year's festivities and fireworks had been cancelled over the terror threat.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.