Last Update 13:36
Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Next round of Yemen peace talks postponed: Minister

AFP , Saturday 9 Jan 2016
Share/Bookmark
Views: 953
Share/Bookmark
Views: 953

The next round of peace talks between Yemen's government and Iran-backed Houthi rebels scheduled for next week have been postponed, Foreign Minister Abdel Malak al-Mekhlafi said Saturday.

"The negotiations will not take place on the announced date of January 14," Mekhlafi said on the phone from Cairo.

"They will be postponed until January 20 or 23 because the Houthis rejected the date of January 14."

He said UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed would travel to the capital Sanaa on Sunday to "convince the Houthis to participate in the negotiations on the new dates".

The envoy would also seek "confidence-building measures" from the Houthis, including the lifting of their siege of Taez and allowing aid into the southwestern city, he added.

The next round of peace talks would be held in Geneva, said the Yemeni minister.

Yemen's government sat down with the rebels and their allies in Switzerland last month for six days of talks that ended with no major breakthrough. A halt to the violence is sorely needed in the Arabian Peninsula's poorest nation, where the UN says fighting since March has killed thousands of people and left about 80 percent of the population needing humanitarian aid.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.