Last Update 18:21
Monday, 14 October 2019

Ten killed, 15 wounded in Istanbul blast; Syrian suicide bomber culprit: Govt

Reuters , Tuesday 12 Jan 2016
Istanbul
Turkish police block access to the Blue Mosque area after a blast in Istanbul's tourist hub of Sultanahmet on January 12, 2016 (AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2626
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2626

Turkish deputy premier said the attack on Istanbul's tourist heart on Tuesday was carried out by a 28-year-old Syrian suicide-bomber, adding that victims are mostly foreigners.

Turkish Prime Minister had said in a speech in Ankara shortly after the blast: "I strongly condemn the terror attack which was carried out by a suicide bomber of Syrian origin."

Ten people were killed and 15 wounded when a blast of unknown origin rocked the main tourist hub of Turkey's largest city Istanbul, the governor's office said.

"Investigations into the cause of the explosion, the type of explosion and perpetrator or perpetrators are underway," it said in a statement quoted by the Dogan news agency after the blast in the Sultanahmet neighbourhood.

Ambulances and police were despatched to Sultanahmet, the city's main tourist hub, which is home to world-famous monuments including the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia, television reports said.

The blast came after a slew of deadly attacks across Turkey in past months that has left Turkey's largest city on edge.

The force of the blast was sufficient to be heard in adjacent neighbourhoods, witnesses told AFP. TV reports said several were wounded but there was no further detail on the toll.

Turkey is on alert after 103 people were killed on October 10 when two suicide bombers attacked a crowd of peace activists in the capital Ankara, the bloodiest strike in the country's modern history.

That operation was blamed on ISIS, as were two other bloody assaults in the country's Kurdish-dominated southeast earlier in the year.

Turkish authorities have in recent weeks detained several suspected ISIS members with officials saying they were planning attacks in Istanbul.

But Turkey is also waging an all-out assault on the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) which has staged dozens of deadly attacks against members of the security forces in the southeast of the country.

A Kurdish splinter group, the the Freedom Falcons of Kurdistan (TAK) claimed a mortar attack on Istanbul's second international airport on December 23 which killed a female cleaner and damaged several planes

Meanwhile the banned ultra-left Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C) has also staged a string of usually small-scale attacks in Istanbul over the last months.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.