Last Update 20:45
Sunday, 17 November 2019

Yemen govt accepts UN peace plan, awaits rebel response

AFP , Sunday 31 Jul 2016
	Yemen govt accepts UN peace plan, awaits rebel response
(File Photo:Reuters)Yemen's President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi sits during a meeting with government officials in the country's southern port city of Aden, December 1, 2015.
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1148
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1148

Yemen's government on Sunday accepted a UN-proposed plan to end fighting that has left thousands dead, but there was no word from Iran-backed rebels who have intensified attacks on the Saudi border.

The draft agreement, which follows several months of UN-brokered negotiations in Kuwait, stipulates that the Houthi Shia rebels must withdraw from Sanaa, which they overran in September 2014.

But it was unclear if the insurgents were ready to end their occupation of the capital, which they have refused to cede despite a more than year-long military campaign by a Saudi-led Arab coalition.

Yemen, a key US ally in the fight against Al-Qaeda, descended into chaos after the 2012 ouster of longtime strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Security deteriorated further after the Houthi rebels swept into the capital and pushed south, forcing President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi's government to flee into exile in March last year.

The conflict has killed more than 6,400 people and displaced 2.8 million since then, according to UN figures.

Over 80 percent of the population urgently needs humanitarian aid.

The proposed peace deal is broadly in line with the demands of Hadi's Saudi-backed government.

It replaces a roadmap previously proposed by UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed that stipulated the creation of a unity government including the insurgents, which was rejected by Hadi's government.

Under the new plan, a political dialogue between various Yemeni factions would start 45 days after the rebels withdraw and hand over heavy weapons to a military committee to be formed by Hadi.

Prisoners of war would also be freed.

The government's acceptance came after a high-level meeting in Riyadh chaired by Hadi.

"The meeting approved the draft agreement presented by the United Nations calling for an end to the armed conflict and the withdrawal (of rebels) from Sanaa" and other cities they have seized, said a statement.

According to sources close to the delegates in Kuwait, the government accepted the deal following pressure from Saudi Arabia which wants to corner the rebels and show they are unwilling to accept a political solution.

Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdulmalek al-Mikhlafi, who is leading Hadi's negotiating team, said he had sent a letter to the UN envoy informing him the government backed what he called the "Kuwait Agreement".

One pre-condition, however, is that the Houthis and allied forces loyal to Saleh sign the deal by August 7, Mikhlafi wrote on Twitter.

There was no official reaction from the rebels.

Houthi spokesman Mohammed Abdulsalam, however, said on Twitter before the government announcement that the rebels insist on a comprehensive and complete peace agreement, rejecting what he called "half solutions".

The government's announcement came just hours after the coalition said a Saudi army officer and six soldiers were killed in border clashes on Saturday with the Yemeni rebels.

On Monday, five Saudi border guards died in similar clashes.

The rebels angered the Yemeni government last week by announcing the formation of a 10-member "supreme council" to run the country -- which the foreign minister branded a "new coup".

Under the proposed peace deal, that council would be abolished along with all decisions made by the rebels since they occupied the capital.

A defiant Saleh on Saturday defended the new council, which he said aimed at "fill the political void left in the country after the legitimacy of Hadi expired and he fled" to Saudi Arabia.

"This council will govern the country as a presidential council and in accordance with the country's constitution and laws," Saleh said in a speech.

Hadi's government has used the main southern city, Aden, as a temporary capital since it was recaptured from the Houthis last year.

But the authorities have struggled to secure the port city, which has seen a string of bombings and assassinations by the Islamic State group or Al-Qaeda.

The militantrivals have exploited the turmoil to boost their activities in the impoverished country on the tip of the Arabian Peninsula.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.