South Sudan has rejected an American proposal at the U.N. Security Council to send 4,000 additional troops to South Sudan.
Government spokesperson Michael Makuei said Wednesday that the proposal "seriously undermines the sovereignty of the Republic of South Sudan as a U.N. member state."
Fighting in the capital, Juba, last month raised fears of a renewed civil war. Both the African Union and IGAD, an East African political body, have proposed sending additional peacekeepers into the country.
Makuei objected to the U.S. proposal that he says gives peacekeepers the ability to "engage in combat" and gives the U.N. the ability to "govern the republic of South Sudan."
Rebel leader Riek Machar fled during the latest fighting and says he will return only when regional peacekeepers secure the capital.