Last Update 9:41
Wednesday, 23 October 2019

Anger as MH370 families say official report offers no new information

AFP , Monday 30 Jul 2018
MH370
MH370 safety investigator-in-charge Kok Soo Chon reacts during a news conference after an MH370 closed door meeting in Putrajaya, Malaysia July 30, 2018. (Reuters photo)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2689
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2689

A long-awaited official report into the disappearance of Flight MH370 gave no new clues about why the plane vanished, relatives of those on board the aircraft said Monday, expressing anger and disappointment.

Family members had been hoping that the official investigation team's report could provide them with some closure, over four years after the Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 239 people went missing.

But grieving relatives said the technical document appeared to contain little new beyond a lengthy description of the plane's disappearance and search efforts, and that officials were unable to answer their questions. Some angry relatives walked out of the briefing.

"It is so disappointing," said Intan Maizura Othman, whose husband was a flight steward on MH370, which was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing when it vanished in March 2014.

"I am frustrated. There is nothing new in the report.

"Those who gave the briefing from the ministry of transport were not able to give answers as they were not (the ones) who wrote the report."

She said that the meeting between relatives and officials descended into a "shouting match" as family members' frustration boiled over.

"Many asked questions," said G. Subramaniam, who lost a son on the flight, but added that "unsatisfactory responses left many angry".

The report was due to released publicly later Monday.

No sign of the jet was found in a 120,000-square kilometre (46,000-square mile) Indian Ocean search zone and the Australian-led hunt, the largest in aviation history, was suspended in January last year.

US exploration firm Ocean Infinity resumed the hunt at the start of this year on a "no find, no fee" basis, using high-tech drones to scour the seabed. But that search was called off after failing to find anything.

Malaysia's new government, which took power in May, total transparency, including the release of the report by the official safety investigation team -- a 19-member body which includes international investigators.

Only three confirmed fragments of MH370 have been found, all of them on western Indian Ocean shores, including a two-metre wing part known as a flaperon.

There have been a host of theories about why the plane disappeared, ranging from an accident to a hijacking or even a terror plot.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.