Last Update 22:17
Friday, 15 November 2019

Turkey sends troops to Syria border as US prepares for pullout talks

AFP , Monday 24 Dec 2018
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2900
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2900

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan sent more troops to Syria's border on Monday ahead of an imminent US withdrawal, threatening a Kurdish militia there as a US delegation prepared for talks on the pullout.

US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw 2,000 US troops from northern Syria has dismayed many of Washington's allies, and critics say Turkey will look to benefit in its fight against US-backed Kurdish forces inside Syria.

Turkey has said any offensive targeting the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militia and the Islamic State (IS) group will be launched in the coming months.

Turkey views the YPG as a "terrorist offshoot" of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has waged an insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984.

But the militia has also been a key US ally in the fight against Islamic State group in Syria, working with American forces on the ground there.

"Just as we did not leave our Syrian Arabs to Daesh (IS group), we will not leave Syrian Kurds to the cruelty of the PKK," Erdogan said during a speech in Ankara.

A Turkish military convoy arrived overnight on Monday at the border with Syria, with local media reporting that some vehicles had entered Syria.

Erdogan's spokesman Ibrahim Kalin told reporters on Monday that a US military delegation would arrive this week to "discuss how to coordinate (the withdrawal) with their counterparts".

Kalin also said that a Turkish foreign ministry delegation would go to Washington for talks on the pull-out on January 8.

In a telephone conversation Sunday between Trump and Erdogan, which both sides described as "productive", they agreed to avoid a power vacuum in Syria after the US withdrawal.

'No Slowdown' in IS Group Fight 

Unlike several other allies of the United States, Turkey has praised Trump's decision to withdraw 2,000 of his ground forces from Syria.

Trump stunned the US political establishment and allies last week with his decision, days after Erdogan had warned that Ankara would soon launch an offensive in northern Syria.

Critics of Trump's decision fear that thousands of Islamic State (IS) group members are still thought to be in Syria, despite Trump's claim of having defeated IS group.

The US leader tweeted that Erdogan had told him Ankara would "eradicate" the last IS group elements.

And Kalin vowed that there was "no question of a step backwards, vulnerability or a slowdown in the fight against Daesh (IS group)".

He added: "Turkey will show the same determination against Daesh. To beat Daesh, we don't need the PKK or the YPG. We can bring peace to this region."

Convoy Enters Syria 

The Turkish military convoy with howitzers, artillery batteries and several units of the armed forces, was deployed to the border district of Elbeyli in Kilis province, state news agency Anadolu reported on Monday.

Parts of the convoy had entered Syria, the private IHA news agency reported, which said the reinforcements would take place "gradually".

The deployment began over the weekend with around 100 vehicles, the Hurriyet daily said, and crossed into the Al-Bab region, headed towards Jarabulus and YPG-held Manbij.

Jarabulus and Al-Bab were areas captured from IS group during Ankara's first military operation in August 2016 which lasted until March 2017.

Military reinforcements had also been sent to the Akcakale border town and Ceylanpinar district, both in the southeastern Sanliurfa province.

Turkey conducted a second offensive with Syrian rebels against the YPG in its northwestern enclave of Afrin in January this year.

Turkish officials have previously said Ankara has no territorial ambitions in Syria.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.