Last Update 22:7
Tuesday, 12 November 2019

US envoy shows draft of US-Taliban deal to Afghan leaders

AP , Monday 2 Sep 2019
Afghanistan
U.S special representative for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad (L), meets with Afghanistan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah in Kabul, Afghanistan September 2, 2019. Afghan Chief Executive office (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1024
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1024

US envoy showed the draft of a US-Taliban agreement to Afghan leaders on Monday after declaring they were ``at the threshold'' of a deal to end America's longest war, officials said.

However, reflecting the sensitivity of the US-Taliban negotiations and the Afghan government's sidelined role in the talks so far, it was not clear whether the draft was actually given to President Ashraf Ghani and his team.

Envoy Zalmay Khalilzad met twice with Ghani after arriving Sunday evening from Qatar, where the ninth round of US-Taliban talks ended without a final agreement.

``We have reached an agreement with the Taliban in principle but of course until the US president agrees with it, it isn't final,'' Khalilzad told the local TOLO news channel. He said that under the deal, 5,000 US troops would withdraw within 135 days from five bases in Afghanistan. Between 14,000 and 13,000 troops are currently in the country.

President Donald Trump last week told Fox News the US plans to reduce its troop presence to 8,600 and then ``make a determination from there.'' He has been eager to withdraw troops before next year's election and the draft deal easily meets that deadline.

Afghan presidential spokesman Sediq Seddiqi told reporters the government would study the deal to make sure it addresses the goals of a lasting cease fire and direct talks with the Taliban in the near future. ``It will take couple of days, probably, that we will get back to them and give them our observations,'' he said.

A deal on ending nearly 18 years of fighting is closer to reality, even as the Taliban attacked the capitals of Kunduz and Baghlan provinces in the north over the weekend. Violence continued in Kunduz on Monday as a suicide bomber targeted a police checkpoint and killed at least four officers and wounded 17 people, including 10 civilians, said provincial health director Esanullah Fazeli.

The Afghan government has been shut out of the US-Taliban negotiations, as the militant group dismisses it as a US puppet, but intra-Afghan talks that include the government are meant to follow a US-Taliban deal.

The Kabul government says its negotiating team is ready but refuses to say who is on it.

The Taliban are at their strongest since the US-led invasion to topple their government after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, and now controls or holds sway over roughly half the country. The insurgents want all of the estimated 20,000 US and NATO forces to leave Afghanistan and already portray their departure as the insurgents' victory.

``We are on the verge of ending the invasion and reaching a peaceful solution for Afghanistan,'' the Taliban spokesman in Qatar, Suhail Shaheen, said over the weekend.

For its part, the US seeks Taliban assurances that Afghanistan will not be a safe haven for extremist groups to plan and launch global terror attacks.

The militant group has stepped up attacks in recent months to strengthen its negotiating position. The United Nations and others say civilians have suffered, often caught in the crossfire as government forces, backed by the US, have pursued the militants with airstrikes and raids. Afghanistan was the world's deadliest conflict in 2018.

A US official with Khalilzad's negotiation team recently said that ``any potential peace deal will not be based on blind trust, but will instead contain clear commitments that are subject to our monitoring and verification.'' The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter with the media.

The official added that a deal would lead to ``intra-Afghan negotiations where the Taliban will sit with other Afghans and together they will commit to a permanent and comprehensive ceasefire.''

Unrest continued Monday outside Baghlan's capital city, Puli Khumri, as the Taliban blocked the main road leading south to Kabul with fuel tanker trucks, opening fire on any security forces that tried to approach, provincial council member Mabobullah Ghafari told The Associated Press.

The Taliban also blocked the two main highways heading north from Puli Khumri as gun battles continued, he said.

The interior ministry said at least 51 Taliban fighters, seven civilians and six members of security forces had been killed, and that the Taliban would soon be eliminated from the area.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.