Last Update 0:25
Wednesday, 13 November 2019

Israel signs off on 346 new West Bank settler homes

Israel's defence ministry says government approved the construction of 246 settlements in the West Bank

AFP, Ahram Online , Sunday 10 Feb 2013
West Bank
Israeli soldier picks up parts of a tent previously set up by Palestinian activists in Yatta, south of the West Bank city of Hebron, Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013 (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 887
Share/Bookmark
Views: 887

The Israeli defence ministry on Sunday confirmed it had given the green light for the construction of 346 new settler homes in two settlements in the southern West Bank, a statement said.

"The defence ministry has approved plans for 200 housing units in Tekoa and 146 housing units in Nokdim," the ministry said.

Tekoa and Nokdim are two small isolated settlements deep in the southern West Bank which are located in the Gush Etzion bloc south of Jerusalem that Israel wants to keep hold of in any future peace agreement with the Palestinians.

Late last year, the defence ministry approved plans for another 523 settler homes in another part of Gush Etzion, in what was the first step towards a new settlement city in the area.

The latest swathe of approvals came as a United Nations report called on Israel to immediately start withdrawing settlers from the Palestinian territories, saying the settlements caused the

Palestinians' human rights to be "violated consistently and on a daily basis."

Israel has come under widespread international criticism for ramping up its construction of settlements in the Palestinian territories, particularly in recent months when it has pushed forward with plans for more than 5,000 new settler homes in annexed east Jerusalem.

The international community views all Israeli construction on occupied Palestinian land as a violation of international law, and the Palestinians have refused to return to peace talks while Israel builds on land they want for a future state.


 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Just me
11-02-2013 08:10am
0-
1+
Who ware the real terrorist now!!!!
where is humanrightswatch amnesty international etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Israel can never be trusted.Violation after voilation for 65 years now.They can walk away with everything but not from GOD.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.