Last Update 9:53
Sunday, 17 November 2019

Saudi police kill suspect on list of 23 wanted Shiites

Saudi police kill a man who figured on a list of 23 Shiites wanted in connection with unrest in a Shiite village in Eastern Province

AFP , Sunday 23 Jun 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 942
Share/Bookmark
Views: 942

Saudi police have killed a man who fled when they tried to arrest him for allegedly taking part in unrest that shook the kingdom's Shiite-populated Eastern Province last year, a report said Sunday.

Security forces tracked down Morsi Ali Ibrahim Al-Rabah, "who was involved in criminal acts that targeted Saudi nationals and citizens of his village", the official SPA news agency reported, quoting an interior ministry spokesman.

The spokesman said police opened fire at Al-Rabah, who figured on a list of 23 Shiites wanted in connection with unrest in the Shiite village of Al-Awamiya, when he fled as they tried to arrest him.

He was wounded and died in hospital, the spokesman said.

Al-Rabah had "taken part in opening fire at citizens and members of the security forces, killing and wounding some," said the spokesman, adding that authorities will continue to hunt down wanted suspects.

It urged the remaining 10 suspects on the same list, to "quickly hand themselves over to security services," adding that "this will be taken into account when looking into their cases."

Thirteen suspects have been killed in shootouts during raids or have been arrested and are on trial.

Shiite towns in oil-rich Eastern Province have been rocked by sporadic violence. Residents have clashed with police to protest what they say is the marginalisation of Shiites in Sunni-ruled Saudi Arabia.

There are an estimated two million Shiites in the kingdom of around 27.5 million people.

On Saturday, police said a young man was found dead in his car in Qatif, also in Eastern Province, after unknown gunmen opened fire at patrolmen in the area, sparking a gunfight.

The man was not immediately identified and it was not clear if his death was linked to the gunfight.

The unrest first erupted after violence between Shiite pilgrims and religious police in the Muslim holy city of Medina in February 2011.

The protests escalated when Saudi Arabia led a force of Gulf troops into neighbouring Bahrain the following month to help crush Shiite-led pro-democracy demonstrations in the tiny Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom.

Human rights groups say more than 600 people have been arrested since the spring of 2011, most of them in Qatif. The majority have since been released.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.