Last Update 22:11
Friday, 15 November 2019

Bahrain activists to test demo ban with US embassy rally

Despite government ban on protests, Bahraini activists gear up for protest near US embassy tomorrow, ask embassy for protection

AFP , Tuesday 13 Aug 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1010
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1010

Bahraini opposition activists, inspired by the success of street protests in Egypt, plan to demonstrate near the US embassy on Wednesday in defiance of a government ban.

The Sunni rulers of the Shia-majority Gulf kingdom have assumed sweeping new powers to crush demonstrations but the protest organisers insist they will go ahead regardless.

They have called on Washington to use its influence with the authorities to ensure that a pro-democracy demonstration can be held on the doorstep of its embassy without bloodshed.

Tiny but strategic Bahrain, just across the Gulf from Iran, is the home base of the US Fifth Fleet and Washington is a longstanding ally of the ruling Al-Khalifa dynasty.

The Bahrain Rebellion Movement, Tamarod, which is organising the planned rally, is less than two months old.

It takes its name and inspiration from the Egyptian Tamarod movement which spearheaded the nationwide protests that triggered the army's overthrow of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on 3 July.

The Bahraini group announced its formation on the day of the Egyptian coup but it is taking up a cause that inspired mass demonstrations in the capital in 2011 which were put down only with the help of Saudi-led troops.

Neighbouring Saudi Arabia has a Shia minority of some two million concentrated in its oil-rich Eastern Region near Bahrain and is deeply sensitive to any move to empower Bahrain's Shias.

On 1 August, Tamarod posted an open letter asking the US embassy to provide protection for the planned rally, saying it poses "ethical responsibilities" for Washington.

"We hope that you may convey our deep concern to the US State Department and the US Congress to exert a real political pressure on Bahraini regime to avoid any fatal crackdown and bloodshed," the letter said.

The group said the goal of the demonstration was a "real democracy in Bahrain not less than that found in Western countries such as the USA and the United Kingdom."

At least 80 people have been killed in Bahrain since the Arab Spring-inspired pro-democracy protests erupted in early 2011, according to the International Federation for Human Rights.

The main Shia parties have all boycotted parliament for more than two years to press their demand for a genuine constitutional monarchy, in which top ministers are elected representatives, not appointed by the king from within the ruling family.

King Hamad assumed sweeping new powers earlier this month to counter what the authorities say is an upsurge in "terrorism" linked to the Shia-led protests.

The government banned all demonstrations in the capital, except for officially authorised events outside the offices of international organisations.

The authorities say that police stations and patrols have come under bomb attack in Shia villages outside the capital in recent months.

Veteran Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman, an uncle of King Hamad, warned on Saturday that the government would not tolerate any threat to public order.

"This island will remain an ember that will burn those who want to jeopardise its security and stability," he said.

"We shall not allow our country to face the chaos, destruction and displacement suffered by other countries," he warned.

The UN Human Rights Office has urged the government to respect the right to peaceful protest.

"We call upon the government of Bahrain to fully comply with its international human rights commitments, including respect for freedom of expression and peaceful assembly, and association," said spokeswoman Cecile Pouilly.

On Tuesday, Reporters Without Borders voiced concerns over what it described as a "new upsurge in abusive treatment of journalists" in the run-up to the rally.

The Paris-based watchdog said that two bloggers, two photographers and a cameraman have been arrested since the end of July.

"The authorities plan to impose a news blackout on the 14 August demonstration by jailing netizens and preventing journalists and human rights defenders from visiting Bahrain," it said in a statement.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.