Last Update 18:5
Thursday, 14 November 2019

Qatar says had no contact with Syrian govt

AFP , Wednesday 4 Dec 2013
Qatar
Qatar's emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Khalifa (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 592
Share/Bookmark
Views: 592

Qatar has stressed it has had no direct or indirect contact with Syria's regime, as the head of Lebanon's pro-Syria Hezbollah movement said he had received an envoy from Doha.

"Qatar does not have any direct or indirect contacts with the Syrian regime," said the foreign ministry in a statement late Tuesday, stressing support for the armed opposition.

Doha's "sole link is with the legitimate representative of the (Syrian) people, which is the National Coalition," it said in a statement carried by QNA state news agency.

The statement was part of another summing up the talks between the emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Khalifa, and the Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, who visited Doha on Monday.

But it coincided with a statement by Hezbollah's chief Hasan Nasrallah, who said in an interview aired late Tuesday on the Lebanese OTV channel that he had received a Qatari envoy in the "past few days".

"Qatar is probably revisiting its position and strategy in the region," Nasrallah said according to the Lebanese Assafir daily.

Iran-backed Hezbollah has been actively involved in the Syrian conflict, sending fighters into the neighbouring country to defend the regime of President Bashar al-Assad against rebels.

The Qatari statement said the emir told Zarif that Doha "stands by the Syrian people's side and its just demands," while it "would welcome a political solution that guarantees this people's legitimate rights."

The emir also stressed that Doha welcomes the Syria peace conference that will be held in Geneva on January 22 as a "preliminary step towards a comprehensive solution that would achieve regional stability".

Qatar has been a strong backer of the uprising against Assad, which erupted in March 2011 and has claimed 126,000 lives so far.

But doubts have been cast over the continuity of Doha's role after the former emir, sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa surprisingly abdicated in June, and former premier and foreign minister, sheikh Hamad bin Jassim was replaced.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.