Last Update 5:20
Wednesday, 17 January 2018

Congo rebels, government sign ceasefire pact

AFP , Saturday 23 Dec 2017
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1431
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1431

A key Congolese rebel group signed a ceasefire deal with the central government in Brazzaville on Saturday, after months of renewed armed conflict in the oil-rich nation.

Fighters loyal to ex-rebel chief Frederic Bintsamou -- seen as having disbanded after a 2003 peace deal -- rose up again April last year in protest at the re-election of President Denis Sassou Nguesso.

The fighting in the southern Pool region affected at least 138,000 people and halted district elections in July.

It also cut off crucial transport routes between the capital Brazzaville and the main oil port -- worsening an already dire economic situation for the country affected by plunging crude prices.

The new ceasefire deal was signed in Pool's regional capital Kinkala between government officials and Jean-Gustave Ntondo, a representative of Bintsamou.

"The accord is good news at a time when the economic situation is not very good," government spokesman Thierry Moungalla told AFP.

"The ceasefire begins today," said Ntondo who was only recently released from jail along with another Bintsamou ally.

According to the short agreement, Bintsamou, also known as Pastor Ntumi, committed to "facilitating the collection of weapons held by the ex-combattants" and to not "hinder" the restoration of state authority in the Pool region.

The government said it would support the "professional, social and economic reintegration" of the rebels once they handed over their arms.

Brazzaville also said it would guarantee the return of displaced people.

A commission with representatives from both sides is to oversee the implementation of the ceasefire.

The Paris-based opposition group Sassoufit said the "accord's spirit is positive", but queried whether Ntondo may have been forced to sign the deal under duress.

President Sassou Nguesso, 73, has led Congo for over 30 years.

The former paratrooper served as president from 1979 to 1992, and then returned to power in 1997 following a civil war with Pastor Ntumi's so-called ninja rebels.

Sassou Nguesso won two successive terms in elections in 2002 and 2009, both of which were disputed by opposition parties.

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.