Last Update 22:51
Tuesday, 15 October 2019

Homicide trial of Zuma's son over 2014 fatal car crash will go ahead: Court

Reuters , Friday 29 Mar 2019
Share/Bookmark
Views: 735
Share/Bookmark
Views: 735

Former South African president Jacob Zuma's son Duduzane will stand trial for culpable homicide over a fatal car accident in 2014, a Johannesburg judge said on Friday, rejecting a request to dismiss the case for lack of evidence.

Driving a Porsche sports car, Duduzane Zuma, 35, crashed into a minivan taxi on a highway near Sandton in Johannesburg in February 2014, killing one woman and injuring another woman who later died in hospital.

The court's decision on Friday brings to a protracted pre-trial period during which Zuma's defence lawyers have tried to prevent the case from coming to court.

Duduzane initially avoided prosecution after the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) decided in 2015 not to charge him. However, the NPA reversed its decision last year after a rights group threatened to privately prosecute Zuma.

"This court concludes that there is evidence that a court acting reasonably can convict," said Magistrate Tebogo Thupaatlase.

Duduzane was present at Friday's hearing. He pleaded not guilty to the charges of culpable homicide and negligent driving on Tuesday.

He was charged last year with two counts of culpable homicide - South Africa's equivalent of manslaughter -and one count of negligent driving in the accident.

Prosecutors later withdrew one count of culpable homicide because the second woman's death was linked to natural causes, not the accident.

The trial is expected to begin in May.

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.