Last Update 21:59
Monday, 18 November 2019

Libya jihadists vow to defend Benghazi bastion

AFP , Tuesday 20 May 2014
Libya
Libyan jihadist group Ansar al-Sharia (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 893
Share/Bookmark
Views: 893

Libyan jihadist group Ansar al-Sharia, blacklisted as a terrorist organisation by Washington, vowed Tuesday to defend its stronghold in second city Benghazi against an expanding alliance of opposing forces.

The group charged that a deadly assault in the eastern city on Friday which mainly targeted its forces was "a war against... Islam orchestrated by the United States and its Arab allies."

Forces loyal to former rebel commander Khalifa Haftar pulled out of Benghazi after the attack which left at least 79 people dead.

But he has vowed to re-enter Benghazi to cleanse it of "terrorists" and on Monday won the support of special forces in the city which stayed out of last week's fighting but have suffered mounting losses to suspected jihadist attacks in recent weeks.

"A confrontation is now inevitable to defend our city and our land," Ansar al-Sharia said in its statement.

"We will act with force against anyone who enters the city or attacks it, just as was done to the forces sent by Kadhafi," it added.

The last was a reference to the routing of the forces sent to Benghazi by now slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi in March 2011 in an abortive attempt to crush the uprising that erupted in the city that month.

Ansar al-Sharia acknowledged mounting public support in Benghazi for a strong hand to bring to heel the feuding former rebel militias that have carved out fiefdoms across the city since the NATO-backed uprising.

But it said this should be done "under the banner of sharia (Islamic law), not under the banner of secularism and democracy."

Ansar al-Sharia has always rejected accusations that its militants were behind a September 2012 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi that left ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans dead.

But in January the US State Department put both the Benghazi group and an sister organisation in the eastern city of Derna on its terror blacklist saying both had taken part in the attack.

Haftar, a former Kadhafi-era general who lived in exile in the United States for more than two decades before returning during the uprising, has long drawn accusations of being linked to the US Central Intelligence Agency, first from the Kadhafi regime, and then from rival rebel commanders.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.