Last Update 17:21
Wednesday, 17 July 2019

US urges Israel, Palestinians to preserve security cooperation

AFP , Tuesday 1 Jul 2014
Hebron
Flames are seen after a blast on the top floor of the family home of an alleged abductor in the West Bank City of Hebron July 1, 2014. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 669
Share/Bookmark
Views: 669

The White House Tuesday called on Israel and the Palestinian Authority to preserve security cooperation, as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu mulls action against Hamas after the murder of three Israeli teenagers.

The Obama administration also backed Israel's claims that the Islamist group was to blame for the killings, and reiterated a call for restraint on both sides.

Israel has vowed to hunt down the militants it believes are responsible for the killings, which were followed by Israeli raids on Hamas targets in Gaza earlier in the day.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest reiterated President Barack Obama's outrage over the killings and call for both sides to avoid destabilizing action, expressed on Monday in a written statement.

He also called on Palestinians and Israelis not to jeopardize cooperation that Washington sees as vital in keeping a lid on tensions.

"There was some security cooperation between the Palestinian Authority and Israel as they investigated the disappearance of these young men, as they tried to bring them home safely," said Earnest.

"There is an important security relationship between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

"We hope that that spirit of cooperation, even in the midst of this very difficult time, will continue," said Earnest.

Hamas had condemned Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas for his support for security coordination with Israel, which continued as the Jewish state mounted an unsuccessful effort to find the three teenagers alive.

The Islamist group said the cooperation was harmful to prospects of Palestinian reconciliation and a blow to Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.

Abbas argues that security coordination with Israel is in the interest of Palestinians and pledged there would be no new intifada or uprising against Israel despite the recent failure of US-brokered peace talks.

At the State Department, spokeswoman Marie Harf said that there were "many indications" pointing to the involvement of Hamas.

She highlighted the praise offered by Hamas leaders for the kidnappings of Gilad Shaer and Naftali Frenkel, a dual US-Israeli citizen, both 16, and 19-year-old Eyal Ifrach, from a roadside in the southern West Bank on June 12.

But she stopped short of placing full responsibility for the killings on Hamas.

The three teenagers' bodies were found Monday in a field not far from where they were seized.

"We condemn this despicable terrorist attack in the strongest possible terms," Harf said.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.