The Palestinian delegation currently in Cairo for ceasefire talks aimed to end fighting in Gaza has held an extended meeting with Egypt's intelligence chief Mohamed Farid El-Tohamy, a Palestinian source participating in the negotiations told Ahram Online on Sunday.
The source said that a new 72-hour ceasefire is expected to come into force this afternoon in order to begin a new round of indirect negotiations with Israeli.
Another Palestinian source monitoring the Egyptian-brokered negotiations told Ahram Online that the truce is expected to begin before Sunday evening so that the Israeli delegation that left Cairo on Friday could return to the Egyptian capital.
Israel has said it will not take part in truce talks while violence is ongoing. Its delegation has not returned to Cairo since it left early Friday morning, shortly before a 72-hour cease-fire expired.
The head of the Palestinian delegation in Cairo said earlier that it would pull out unless Israeli negotiators came back for the talks.
Israel launched more than 30 air attacks in Gaza on Saturday, killing nine Palestinians, and militants fired rockets at Israel as the conflict entered a second month.
Palestinian hospital officials say 1,893 people have been killed since the 8 July launch of Israel's offensive. For its part, Israel has lost 64 soldiers and three civilians in the fighting.