Hamas' spokesman said on Tuesday that the ceasefire between Palestine and Israel is a victory for the Palestinian resistance.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as well as Egyptian officials announced on Tuesday evening that an Egyptian-sponsored truce had been reached between Palestine and Israel after nearly 48 days of Israeli attacks on Gaza.
In a televised press conference from Gaza, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the Palestinian resistance – led by Al-Qassam Brigades along with other resistance factions – has succeeded in what all other Arab armies combined have failed to do: hold the Israeli army.
Abu Zuhri said that Hamas and other Palestinian resistance factions acted as guards for the people of Gaza during the battle, and that now they will act as servants for the people.
He added that the victory paves the road to the liberation of Jerusalem and the whole of Palestine.
The spokesman said the decision for Israeli soldiers to return to their homes after the ceasefire was issued by Hamas and not by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The ceasefire terms include opening all crossings between Gaza and Israel to facilitate the flow of aid and construction materials and extending Gaza's offshore fishing zone to six miles.
In a separate press conference, the Palestinian president said that the negotiating parties will return to Cairo at the earliest possible opportunity to discuss further points in the truce.
Israel's assault on Gaza, which started on 8 July, killed at least 2,133 Palestinians and wounded more than 11,000, according to Palestinian health officials and the United Nations.
The UN estimates more than 17,000 Palestinian homes have been destroyed, leaving 100,000 people homeless.
On the Israeli side, 68 people were killed, all but four of them soldiers.