Last Update 21:59
Tuesday, 19 November 2019

'Islamic State' claims beheading of second US reporter

AFP , Tuesday 2 Sep 2014
Steven Sotloff
U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff is pictured in this undated handout photo obtained by Reuters August 20, 2014. The Islamic State militant group released a video purporting to show the beheading of hostage Steven Sotloff, the SITE monitoring service reported on September 2, 2014. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1220
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1220

The so-called "Islamic State" released a video on Tuesday showing a masked militant apparently beheading an American journalist and threatening to kill a British captive.

The footage, seen by AFP after it was found online by private terrorism monitor SITE, shows 31-year-old freelance reporter Steven Sotloff dressed in orange and on his knees in a desert landscape.

The masked militant condemns the ongoing US strikes against the Islamic State -- a Sunni jihadist group that operates in Iraq and Syria -- and cuts Sotloff's throat.

He then introduces a second captive, identified in a caption by name as a British citizen.

"I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State," the militant says, speaking in what sounds like a London accent.

This was an apparent reference to a previous video in which US journalist James Foley was murdered, again by a suspected British foreign fighter and in an almost identical fashion.

British Prime Minister David Cameron said the latest video depicted an "absolutely disgusting, despicable act."

The previous video was released last month after US President Barack Obama ordered air strikes against the Islamic State.

It showed 40-year-old Foley's death at the hands of a masked militant who then threatened Sotloff, a Miami-born freelance reporter who has written for Time magazine, Foreign Policy and other outlets.

US officials said they were working to confirm the authenticity of the latest video, and State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Washington would be "sickened" if it proved genuine.

American air strikes against IS positions and vehicles continued in the wake of Foley's death, and more than 120 have been carried out, most of them hitting targets around Iraq's largest dam north of Mosul.

The video, shot with the same high production values as its predecessor, is entitled: "A second message to America."

It opens with a clip of Obama vowing to be "relentless" in his determination to protect US citizens from IS attacks.

Sotloff identifies himself in English and calmly explains that he is paying the price for Obama's policy. His killer also speaks in English.

Sotloff was kidnapped in northern Syria more than a year ago, on August 4, 2013. His family only publicly revealed his captivity last month, having previously requested a media blackout.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Rudy Haugeneder
02-09-2014 10:01pm
3-
0+
Does the American public care if Mexican civilians are behead by drug cartels
The drug cartels that supply the United States with its street drugs almost routinely behead hundreds of Mexican civilians, including women and children, but there is no media or public uproar by American citizens -- or threat of military attack on the cartels. Don't innocent Mexican lives count as much as one American freelance journalist? How racist is that?
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
medo
02-09-2014 10:24pm
0-
1+
really?
Oh shut up!!! If you have nothing of value to say, then say nothing. This radical movement threatens the safety of the world as a whole, not just the middle east. Muslims all over the world are being targeted by people who think all Muslims are like these animals... and we are not. These radicals are spreading like cancer and must be stopped!
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.