Last Update 19:5
Thursday, 19 September 2019

Iran says it opposed Yemen air strikes from start

AFP , Wednesday 22 Apr 2015
Marzieh Afkham
File Photo: Marzieh Afkham (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 598
Share/Bookmark
Views: 598

Iran said on Wednesday that it had held regional consultations "from the first hours" of Saudi-led air strikes in Yemen to try to negotiate an end to the operation.

"We were against the military action," foreign ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said after the coalition announced a halt to the nearly one-month campaign against rebels whom Iran is accused of backing.

"We saw the solution for Yemen in negotiations so based on that we started dialogue and consultations with different countries," she added.

She said the decision announced late Tuesday to halt the strikes "was inevitable for analysts who follow the events" in Yemen.

The coalition left open the option of resuming air raids if necessary and just hours later Saudi-led warplanes were reported to have hit rebels in Yemen's third city Taez after they seized an army base.

Tehran earlier welcomed the halt to the bombing as a "step forward" towards a peaceful solution to the conflict between Shiite rebels and forces loyal to exiled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

Iran, the Shiite rival of Sunni-ruled Saudi Arabia, has denied accusations by the coalition and its allies of arming the rebels.

As part of the diplomatic efforts, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif travelled to Oman and Pakistan, two countries close to Riyadh that did not participate in the coalition.

Iran also tried to win the support of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan when he visited Tehran in early April. Ankara backed the coalition but did not participate in the strikes.

Iran also presented to the UN a peace plan for Yemen calling for a ceasefire followed by foreign-mediated negotiations.

Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani questioned what had been achieved by the air strikes "except that more than 1,000 people died, thousands were injured, the infrastructure was destroyed and (the rebels) took control of several provinces", in remarks quoted by Fars news agency.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.